These trends were ranked according to how significant an impact they will make on higher education within the next five years:
- People expect to be able to work, learn, and study whenever and wherever they want to.
- The technologies we use are increasingly cloud-based, and our notions of IT support are decentralized.
- The world of work is increasingly collaborative deriving changes in the way student projects are structured.
- The abundance of resources and relationships made easily accessible via the Internet is increasingly challenging us to revisit our roles as educators.
- Education paradigms are shifting to include online learning, hybrid learning and collaborative models.
- The new emphasis in the classroom on more challenged- based and active learning.
Near-term Horizon: One Year or Less
• Mobile Apps
Mid-term Horizon: Two to Three Years
• Game-Based Learning
• Learning Analytics
Far-term Horizon: Four to Five Years
• Gesture-Based Computing
• Internet of Things
NMC Horizon Report > 2012 Higher Ed Edition